Communities of Sandwich South
Oldcastle is located just outside of Windsor. It was another rest station on the Talbot Trail for the early settlers. It was named after Oldcastle in County Meath, Ireland by Col. Thomas Talbot.
Oldcastle began as a stage coach stop in the mid 1800’s. It was situated about 8 miles east of the city of Windsor and 4 miles west of the village of Maidstone.
Maidstone is located 10 miles east of Windsor. It was originally called Maidstone Cross and was a stagecoach stop for weary travellers. Maidstone was the central location of the Irish Roman Catholic community who settled here in the early 1800’s and many of the descendants remain there today.
Roseland / Jackson's Corners
Jackson’s Corners was located on Howard Ave. and Cabana Road. It got it’s name from a black gentleman who sold soap on that corner. It was renamed to Roseland in 1926 and was extended to include land up to Hwy #3. The early settlers were mainly french. This area was well known for being one of the largest Indian encampments in the County.
Paquette Corners is located on Walker Road and County Road 8 and was named by an early french settler named Paquette.
Fairplay / Bethel
The Fairplay and Bethel communities surrounded the Baseline Road from the 7th Concession to the 9th Concession. The Fairbairn family donated land for a cemetery on Baseline and 8th Concession which still exists today. At one time it boasted a train station, post office and an inn for travelers.
United Neighbours documents donated by Bob and Connie Reeb.
Cozy Corners is exactly as its name implies. It is a crossroads community on old hwy # 3 and Manning road. Following WWII, Kozy Restaurant was built on that corner and the community got its name from that.
Pelton was located at the railway crossings on Walker Road and Provincial Road. It has a switching tower known as Pelton Junction where the railways meet. This tower was also used as a message centre as telegrams were phoned out to the junction to people who live nearby. Abraham Cole, who was the first Reeve of Sandwich South, resided there.
Farough / Greaves Corners
Farough Settlement (Greaves Corners) is located on Malden Road and South Talbot Road. The Thomas Canning Factory was located there. The Farough and Greaves families remain there today.
Six Corners is a community where 3 roads come together. County road 19 (Manning) County road 46 (old 98 hwy) and North Talbot road.