Cemeteries In Sandwich South

Click on the drone image to view some aerial footage of a few cemeteries in Sandwich South

St. Mary's Cemetery

St. Mary’s cemetery was established in 1874 and is located in Maidstone, Ontario.  It can be found next to St. Mary’s school and church.

Registered to R.C.E.C. of Diocese of London. When St Mary’s Church was completed in 1848 a cemetery was established and used until 1873 when the new church and cemetery were established. Burials from the old cemetery were moved to the new cemetery. A cemetery board was formed in 1939, few records prior to then exist. Since the 1970s burial plots have only been available to parishioners.

Search gravestones with the links below

St. Stephen's Cemetery

St. Stephen’s cemetery was established in 1893 and is located in Oldcastle, Ontario.  It can be found next to St. Stphen’s church on Howard Avenue near Laurier Parkway.

Registered to Anglican Synod of Huron. Cemetery property given by John Holden 1891-92. In 1893 cemetery consecrated by Bishop Baldwin on south side of frame church. 1950 June, Cemetery extended and consecrated by Bishop G.N. Luxton. From the book: St. Stephen’s 1841-1991 “The Saga of the Irish Settlement Church 150 Years”, Kenneth Burton Bennett, 1991, pages 71, 72.

ststephenscemetery1

Search gravestones with the links below

Victoria Memorial Gardens

The faith-based cemetery is located at 1185 Highway #3 in Oldcastle.  It was opened in 1929 on 65 acres of lawn and is now owned by Arbor Memoral.  It sits next to Greenlawn Memorial Gardens which is also own by Arbor Memorial.

Search gravestones with the links below

Greenlawn Memorial Gardens

The non faith-based cemetery is located at 1805 Highway #3 in Oldcastle.  It was opened around 1932 on 50 acres of land and is now owned by Arbor memorial.  It sists next to Victoria Memorial Gardens which is also owned by Arbor Memorial.

Search gravestones with the links below

Fairbairn Union

The cemetery is located at 4297 Baseline road, not far from the Windsor airport.  The land was donated to Sandwich South township by the Fairbairn family  in 1900 and is now owned by the city of Windsor.  The cemetery sites on 2 acres and has 930 plots.  335 of those plots have been sold with 140 of them occupied as of 2015.  The first burial was of Robert Fairbairn Sr. in 1874

Documents

Search gravestones with the links below

Smith Family

The cemetery is located on Banwell road just south of the CPR railway tracks in Tecumseh, Ontario.  The Smith family was one of many families settling in the area after fleeing enslavement in the United States.

smith-cemetery4

Search gravestones with the links below